Friday, February 18, 2022

Must Read Romances by Amazing Black Authors




It's Black History Month and the month of love! I am so excited to share some of my favorite Black authors- some you may know about and some you may not, as well as some of their current releases and books I'm looking forward to as well! This is a very small sampling, so forgive me for anyone I didn't include. 

In no particular order-




Kennedy Ryan

There is not a book by this author I have not loved. Each book is carefully researched and crafted, leaving me often heartbroken, humbled, smarter, healed, and hopeful. My personal favorites are: The Hoops Series (Long Shot, Block Shot, Hook Shot) and The Kingmaker, and Reel. Please be aware there are some very sensitive topics discussed and any trigger warnings can be found on her website.  She made history by winning the RITA award, the Oscars of Romance, in 2019 with Long Shot, becoming the first Black woman to do so.







One of my favorite books last year was The Wildest Ride The author is Black and also Indigenous. It's hard to articulate what it is about this book that resonated so deeply with me. It has an unforgettable heroine-capable, strong, and determined to make her mark in a world which sees her as other and weak. She's taking on the best of the best in rodeo to save her ranch, while also dealing with unwanted attraction to another competitor who is also highly motivated to win the large cash prize. It's enemies to lovers, slow burn, and impossible to put down. I think this is one of the best romances to escape under the radar from last year!



Talia Hibbert

I've read all but a few of what Talia Hibbert has published, and I have to say she is the queen of yearning and anticipation. I love how her heroes are alpha males, but without the toxic posturing associated with the word. She also writes neurodivergent characters and women and men in all shapes and sizes. Her books feel like a warm hug and I'm always looking forward to her next book. I would recommend starting with Get a Life, Chloe Brown or A Girl Like Her. You'll thank me later!





I know transformative fantasy and romance are what I'm going to get when I pick up any book by L. Penelope. I am a huge fan of her Earthsinger Chronicles starting with A Song of  Blood & Stone, with the last installment releasing last year. I'm eagerly awaiting her two new releases this year. Savage City is the first in a new series coming March 31st and Monsters We Defy is a heist story set in the 1920s Washington, D.C..  Both titles are at the top of my TBR lists!  



Vanessa Riley

Vanessa is local to the Atlanta area and writes historical romances and historical fiction that are such joys to read. The genre has largely been dominated by stories that do not reflect the true accuracy of the time, and I always learn something when I read them! I'd start with A Duke, A Lady, and A Baby!


Jasmine Guillory

Jasmine's very popular The Wedding Date series is a delight! Think romantic comedies, that are sweet, steamy, and lots of fun. Guillory doesn't shy away from addressing topics couples and characters face in their day to day lives. I love the feel of them. The Wedding Date is a great place to start!


Kwana Jackson

It's hard not to love a series set around four brothers doing their best to save the Harlem yarn shop run by their mother who dies unexpectedly. Even more so since they're family by choice and not blood. Real Men Knit is a fantastic story in which you can really feel the power of family as well as finding love where you weren't expecting anything at all. Knot Again, the next book in this standalone series releases in July, and to say I'm excited about it is an understatement!




Alexa Martin

It's no surprise to anyone that I am a huge fan of sports romances! Alexa is the wife of a former NFL football player and really brings her experiences to the stories. She's a best-selling author and you will not regret picking up Intercepted. It's the start of a series featuring not just football players, but a group of women you will fall and root for. 

Other authors you should definitely check out:
Farrah Rochon, Brenda Jackson, Beverley Jenkins,  May SageNaima Simone, Jasmine Silvera, Dylan Allen, Nana Malone, Brittainy C. Cherry, Synithia Williams , Mia Sosa, Constance Gillam



Who are some of your favorite Black romance authors and titles? I am always looking for more to read and would love your recommendations! 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Beaver Fever: A Toothy Environmental Solution

Every few years, the public crowns a new peoples’ princess of the animal kingdom. Remember all those “Save the Bees” slogans, stickers, lice...