Despite being one of the largest genres of books, or maybe because of this, the Classics have very little in common. While genres like Romance and Sci-Fi/Fantasy are also pretty loosely related, they've still got certain common themes, settings, and tropes that bind them together. Fiction is the only other section that can compare in its lack of cohesion, but when you go to browse the shelves of a fiction section you already know it'll be a grab bag. When you're browsing the classics, though, there's the expectation that no matter what you pick up you're in for some sort of Great Literary Experience. I mean, they're the classics for a reason, right?
When I was vacationing abroad last year, I had to put this theory to the test. I had finished the book I packed and was looking for something to read when I found myself in a used books market. Being in he Netherlands, most of the books were in Dutch, but there was one stall with a bunch of Penguin Classics in English. While there were plenty of titles I was familiar with, there were even more titles that were new to me. And so, standing in front of all these classics, I picked one of these I was unfamiliar with based on everyone's favorite metric for judging a book: it's cover.
I left the market with a copy of Evelyn Waugh's "Unconditional Surrender," a slim paperback with a lovely line art illustration of a soldier on a beach. I had skimmed the back of the book & it seemed interesting enough, though I did not read closely enough to realize that the book was the third installment of a trilogy. With limited reading material on hand I had no choice but to read the book anyways, and I'm glad I did because the book was quite lovely.
The entire Sword of Honour trilogy follows Guy Crouchback, a soldier in the British Army during World War II who has enlisted with the hopes of finding purpose in the fight against the Nazis. By the time we get to the events of "Unconditional Surrender," Guy has lost the idealism that led him to join up in the first place. On top of that his aging body can't keep up with the demands of the front lines, so Guy is forced to take up a desk job. There are a number of other plot threads in the mix, from issues with Guy's father to a will-they-won't-they sort of relationship. Despite not having the context of the first two books, I still found these to be interesting plot threads with compelling, multi-faceted characters, though I couldn't help but feeling like I would've appreciated everything even more had I read the full book. "Unconditional Surrender" is also a satirical novel, and goes about skewering the bureaucratic realities of war with great wit and humor.
This is just one example of a time when picking a Classic at random paid of, but I can think of other examples too. Whether I branched out and read something from an author I'd never heard of or found a more obscure title from a familiar face, it's rare that I walk away from a "Classic" feeling less than rewarded for my time. I guess there really is a reason why we've chosen to preserve some of these texts for thousands of years after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment